American citizens in Canada are the only people who can renew their US passport by mail from outside the USA. But, you do have to meet certain requirements to do this.
Otherwise, you can still renew your US passport from Canada, but you will have to appear at the US consulate in person with your application.
US Passport Application
Renew US Passport By Mail
Renew US Passport from Canada by Mail
If you want to renew your US passport from Canada by mail, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- at least 18 years old
- you can provide your last US passport with the application
- you are not changing the information on your passport
Your last US passport most also meet all of these requirements:
- issued when you were at least 16 years old
- issued for the full 5 or 10 year period of validity (not limited)
- expired less than 5 years
- issued within the last 15 years
If you and your US passport do not meet all of these requirements, you will have to appear at the US consulate.
Renew US Passport in Canada at the US Consulate
If you fall under any of these circumstances, you will need to renew your US passport in person at the American consulate closest to you
- You are less than 18 years old
- You are applying for your first US passport
- Your last US passport was issued when you were less than 16 years old
- Your last US passport was issued more than 15 years ago
- You do not have your most recently issued US passport
- Your name has changed and you do not have a name change or marriage certificate